Call 999 now if
- you hurt your head badly, e.g. deep wound from a fall or accident
- your headache is like the worst pain you’ve ever had and came on very suddenly
- You have a severe headache and:
- sudden problems speaking, remembering things
- blurred vision
- feeling drowsy, confused
- high fever
- stiff neck
- redness in one of your eyes
- jaw pain when chewing
Treating headaches in the comfort at home
Most headaches will go away on their own and aren’t a sign of something more serious.
You can simply wait until the headache goes away or take painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen. You can buy these over the counter.
This will also help with your headache:
- drink enough water
- eat regular meals
- sleep the same amount of hours every night
Headaches can last between 30 minutes and several hours.
You can get headaches because of something else, for example, cold, flu, bad posture or stress
Some women get headaches when they’re on the pill or during their period or menopause.