Treating headaches at home
You can simply wait until the headache goes away or take painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen. You can buy these over the counter.
Headaches can last between 30 minutes and several hours.
It will also help to:
- drink plenty of water
- eat regular meals
- sleep the same amount of hours every night
Many things cause headaches, for example:
- colds and flu
- bad posture
- periods or menopause (hormone headaches)
Call 999 or go to A&E now if:
You hurt your head badly, eg from a fall or accident.
It feels like the worst pain you’ve ever had and came on suddenly.
You have a severe headache and:
- sudden problems speaking, remembering things
- blurred vision
- are feeling drowsy, confused
- high fever
- stiff neck
- redness in one of your eyes
- jaw pain when chewing